Friday, May 6, 2011

1. A blog by any other name

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet

What’s in a name? Why did I call my blog wow mogul?

I’ll tell you…

When I started this blog I wanted it to detail my gold-making journey and I had some definite ideas about how I wanted (and how I didn’t want) that journey to proceed. My early readings were Greedy Goblin, Hit the Cap, WowEcons and others. So when it came time to name my blog I thought about who I, as a gold making entity, might become. I could become an Auctioneer…
auctioneer
n
(Business / Professions) (Business / Commerce) a person who conducts an auction by announcing the lots and controlling the bidding
vb
(Business / Commerce) (tr) to sell by auction

Dry, dusty, fusty! And a relative misnomer in WoW terms. When I’d built up my business to a state where I was having post 60K weeks would I wish to be called Auctioneer? Definitely not.

I could be a Goblin:

goblin
n
(Myth & Legend / European Myth & Legend) (in folklore) a small grotesque supernatural creature, regarded as malevolent towards human beings

Well hi there Gevlon! : ) I found myself too often on the opposite side of the fence from Gevlon and his followers for this to be any sort of likely. Additionally this word in WoW is mostly reserved for the style of AH play where one deliberately sets out to perpetrate such swindles are Single Arrow sales or the modern day equivalent, barking Mysterious Fortune cards. I’m always happy to price gouge should it be feasible but setting out to deceive in the first place was not something I adhered to nor wished to stand for.

So something else then… here’s what I came up with:
mogul

A small mound of snow on a ski course, from Old Norse mugl, "little heap."
See also related terms for heap.

Umm… wait a minute:

mogul
n.
tycoon, lord, baron, notable, magnate, big gun (informal), big shot (informal), personage, nob (slang, chiefly Brit.), potentate, big wheel (slang), big cheese (slang, old-fashioned), big noise (informal), big hitter (informal), heavy hitter (informal), nabob (informal), bashaw, V.I.P. an international media mogul

Now that's more like it! I liked the opportunities this word presented me with, a tycoon, a baron, a personage!  What's not to like?  I even occasionally use mogul in place of goblin or auctioneer but it's a rare conceit.  ; )

The rest is history – I added wow to the front so that I’d be distinguishable from the rest of the moguls on the interwebz and here we are. : )

As a side note, Mogul was the name of my first guild bank, still run by the ineffable Bankgrrl!

Have you got a story about how your blog came to get its name?

Stay liquid folks,


M.

2 comments:

  1. My name came from the number one thing I try to scream at everybody to do: Stokpile. And oh how do I ever stokpile my stuff. The more I have, the more I can sell. And thus far is has done rather well by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely that time isn't it - soo much cheap stock on the market at the moment. I'm finally being forced to clear a tab of rep items I've been saving for levelling toons. ; )

    ReplyDelete